Wednesday 25 June 2008

Uncle Athiang...

Recently I met Joseph’s distant uncle Athiang Dut Akot. He is the Chief of Wanyjok in Awiel East and Chief of the Pachier clan – which apparently I am belong to. Athiang asks how I am and I tell him “Achincrutch” I have no problems. Adut is looking after me like her own son! He tells me (with Joseph translating) that is how it is done here. As chief of Adut’s family it is his responsibility to help resolve any problems I might have. He adds if I do something good here it will bring honour to the whole clan, but if I act badly they will all share my shame.

Then we start joking. He asks about the white cream I am putting on my legs (insect repellant) and I tell him it is what I use to make my skin white. I offer him some and as he rubs it on his legs I tell him he will soon be as white as me. We laugh. As Joseph puts some on his Uncle asks “Mawien, what are you doing? Do you want to be like him?”

As we leave I greet him with “Achincrutch Wellan”. He laughs. I can see he is honoured. Despite being a highly respected chief he has never been addressed as “Uncle” by a Kawaja before.

No comments: