Friday 20 June 2008

A new name...

From the moment I arrived I have felt like one of the family in the home of Joseph’s family. They have even given me a Dinka nick-name – Steve Majok Dit which means a great bull with a white head!

Joseph’s mum Adut is a very hospitable and caring woman and is also a strong leader for her people. She is a member of the Government and has chosen to stay throughout the 24 years of war and has cared for her community throughout the strife. Her brother Tol Dit who I call Zechariah has also seen the suffering of his community. He shared dinner with us and shared many stories with Joseph. As he was about to leave he motioned us to sit down again and with Joseph as interpreter told me “Our meeting is not by accident. God has brought you here with the son of my sister to be a witness to the suffering of our people. All people are one family, descended from one mother and one father.”

Later at night I sat with the young men chatting by the light of a single candle. One of the young men, Majok, said to me “We are in darkness”. I thought he was stating the obvious, but he went on to say “Our people are in darkness because we have no education, no medical help and our people suffer starvation.” The others wanted to know if I had a plan to help. I told them we would talk together and work out what my friends in Australia can do to support their community in Awiel.

Their hopes and expectations are overwhelming, as is their need. But we have a strong feeling of God joining our hearts to work together to empower the community here.

And on a different subject… we are so well looked after here. The food is great, our room is comfortable, we have everything we need and are being treated like kings. I hope to be able to post some photos soon to give you an idea of life in Awiel.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Steve and Joseph you are in our thoughts and prayers and we praise God for your safe travel and the experiences that you have had already. The importance and significance of your trip has been confirmed again - it is not be accident. Steve - you now have a great name Majok Dit.

Steve Blacket said...

Thanks John. I still dont have email access. Can you arrange with Val about updates and emailing news? Ta. God bless...