Tuesday 24 June 2008

Meeting our partners...

Joseph and I were having a more quiet day. We planned to visit the hospital when it cooled down a bit and after Adut had brought us coffee we decided it was time to go. We entertain this city just by walking the streets. Children follow yelling “Kawaja. I think they are saying “How are ya?” but Joseph explains it is their word for “white man”.

I have felt a bit frustrated that we have been unable to meet Pastor Ruay, the young COC minister who had been so helpful with our arrangements. Suddenly we are approaching a crossroad and I notice a well dressed and bright eyed young woman on the back of a motor bike. In a moment she is running towards us yelling (in a Canadian accent) “Uncle Joseph, Uncle Joseph!” Her name is Anger (pronounced something like Ahngnyourrr) and her brother, who is riding the bike is Ruay! I cant believe it. Anger has just returned from studying in Canada and has arrived that day. We greet each other and arrange to meet in the evening. The timing leaves me shaking my head!

Ruay and Anger are impressive young people. They are mature, passionate, well educated and well resourced. So many people I have spoken with are vague about what needs to be done but Anger is direct: “Start clinics!” In a culture that uses many words she uses the minimum. Her brother is equally clear in his vision. Churches of Christ have established churches in every county in Awiel except the city itself. Ruay says they are ready to plant a church but have difficulty getting land. Anger is ready to start a clinic alongside the church. They have found a piece of land but it is too expensive for them. I tell them I will help. Ruay says “The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few”. I agree, but remind him of the story of the boy with the loaves and fish. I tell them “We are here with our loaves and fish. It seems so small when the need is so great. But we offer it up and pray that God might do something with it.”

As we pray and say farewell it is like we have known each other for years. Already I know this brother and sister are the ones I will work with in the years ahead.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Steve and Joseph, What an amazing time you are having. There is a stronger sense of God in the midst of it all. Nothing is happening by accident. Each time I read your postings there is a strong sense of purpose and meaning to your trip that comes through. The updates will be sent tomorrow. Blessings to you both.

monica Dhieu said...

hi, guys my name is monica dhieu and i just want to thank you for everything you are doing for the dinka community. And yes! i'm from dinka sudan.each day at school i lock on to your site.God sees everyting you're doing onces again thank you.
with much repect
monica