Wednesday 23 July 2008

Pastor Ronald Ruay...

I wrote briefy about meeting Ruay and Anger earlier (See blog on 24th June), but before I tell you more, let me share a story from a few years ago. In 2004 some of the Sudanese leaders in Adelaide, including Joseph, were asking for my help to establish a Dinka congregation. Joseph told me about a vibrant young COC pastor from Sudan who was planning to come to Adelaide, and we hoped he would be the one who would lead this new church. His name was Ronald. I remember my disappointment when I heard Ronald wasnt coming to Australia after all, but as it has turned out Joseph has led the church admirably.

A few weeks ago in Aweil I finally met Pastor Ruay, the young pastor who I had been communicating with for several months by email, and had been so helpful with making arrangements for our trip. During our conversation I heard Joseph comment about how Ruay's plans to come to Australia hadnt eventuated. That was when the penny dropped! Pastor Ronald Ruay was the same man I had expected to be working with in Adelaide, and now, four years later we find ourselves working together in Sudan! I am amazed!!!

Ruay, like his sister Anger, is an intelligent, articulate and visionary leader. As Yournew Wol took up responsibilities with the government it was Ruay who was given much of the oversight and coordination of the COC movement in Aweil. He pastors the church at Malek Alel and teaches in the Aweil Bible College. But now his passion is to establish a Church of Christ in Aweil Centre. His sister Anger is making plans to start her clinic (which I will write more about another time) and they will minister together to the spiritual and physical needs of the Aweil community.

I have told Ruay we will support his vision, and one way is to help them purchase land. I was able to speak with various people in the Northern Bahr El Ghazel government, asking for their support of the COC leaders in Aweil and assuring them of our commitment to partner with them in the work. Ruay is currently looking for suitable land for their church and will contact me about how Churches of Christ in South Australia can help them.

The internet connection is too slow to post the photo, but hopefully I can add some more pictures soon.

4 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

As a good friend once told me several times in the thickest of the journey I took in PNG, "There is no doubt that everything is just as it should be."
Glad for this relational 'coincidence' you found in the journey, Steve.
Really enjoyed the word pics that Jeff told me about and I have now read! Thank you for sharing these. Vivid.
I can so imagine you there, just soaking it all in and processing while you walk...
I can't resist a little Bislama as I write: Mimi likem tumas!
Dave Powell (using my mum's alias)

Kadina CofC said...

Hi Steve,
Great to get these regular updates and look forward to catching you in person in Adelaide to hear more. Perhaps we could have Joseph and yourself visit us sometime to share the vision of Sudan with the congregation here.
Graham

Steve Blacket said...

Thanks Dave. There have been too many "coincidences". Our plans rarely worked out as we thought, but something else always did. Ive had to learn flexibility and patience. And trust!

And Graham, yeah, we will be able to visit. Of course we are both keen to share the vision. And to hear yours. We envisage a very different kind of mission partnership... But I will write more about that soon.

Nemeste (from Nepal).