Sunday 13 July 2008

Awebyawk...

Its been over a week since my last post - A lot has happened but access to the internet has been difficult.
Our farewell from Aweil was quite moving. Mother Adut literally killed the fattened calf for our send off party and close to 100 people came to say goodbye. Although as their word "awebyawk" expresses, I told people that we will see each other again. Quite a few came to the airport to see us off. When I saw the plane I asked Joseph if had told his mum that he loves her. He laughed, but then got serious and told me our lives are in God's hands. I wasnt sure if he meant "trust God that everything will be ok" or "prepare to die". I decided not to ask. Its hard to describe the airport - The most hi teck equipment I saw was the horn used to clear the runway of donkeys, goats, bicycles and people taking their carts to market. But with a mixture of hugs and traditional greetings we were on our way to Juba.
Juba seemes like a modern city after Aweil. For example, some roads have bitumen (mostly pot-holes but with bits of bitumen around them). We went back to the same hotel by the Nile. Where else in the world will you pay $250 USD for a twin room where the doors dont close properly, the toilet doesnt work, the shower has no water, all fittings are loose on the wall and the hand basin is virtualy falling off? However the air conditioning works perfectly! The friendly staff get the toilet working and turn on the water for the shower. It dosesnt have a shower head so it is like standing under a hose - but after using a bucket for 3 weeks it was still one of the best showers of my life.
Joseph and I are now relaxing in Addis Ababa and enjoying the rich history and friendly people - although many people will ask for money for simply talking to us or showing us something we didnt even want to see. I have grown used to being the only white person, but here people have been more aggressive in their sales pitch. I find explaining that I dont speak American works quite well.
I will write soon about our connections with Church of Christ leaders in Aweil, which has been both insightful and full of potential. Stay tuned...

3 comments:

Kadina CofC said...

Great Update! Glad you made the flight OK. After news of the plane crash in Sudan back in June I understand your concern. So you don't speak American? That surprises me!lol
Look forward to word on Aweil churches in next report

Sae said...

Your journey has made for an interesting read Steve - I really look forward to hearing about the potential partnerships on your return.

Your description of the Aweil airport reminded me of a few of the aiports I had travelled through in Vanuatu - about as high tech, minus the horn!! But such fun when you look back!!

Enjoy your holiday now. And we'll see you soon.

FYI - according to the web, Alice is still in the house.

Anonymous said...

Hi Steve and Joseph,

What a wonderful experience of God paving the way for you and Joseph. It is good to know that you have arrived in Addis for a little time out. Blessings to you both as you continue to travel. It is great to be partners with you both.