Tuesday 19 August 2008

Adub, the gentle giant...



"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God"

I'm not sure of Adub's exact relationship to Joseph's mother Adut (other than having similar names), but it was quickly obvious to me he is like a son to her. And while Joseph and I were there he showed the same helpfulness to us: dropping around most days to see what he could do for us, allowing me to use his laptop, or just stopping by to tell some stories or jokes.

Adub's previous employment was as a "tree inspector" - at a time when people were cutting down Sudan's teak and mahogany to sell for their personal gain. I told Adub with his height he was an obvious choice to be a tree inspector! He is also naturally gifted in his current work as "State Director for Peace" in the Peace Commission of the Government of South Sudan.

When we sat to discuss his role Adub surprised me by saying the main focus of his work is on peace within and among the people of the region. He asks me how people can have peace with others unless they first have it within themselves - but then he adds that people have been fighting for so long many dont know how to resolve issues without conflict. He told me "It's not as simple as forgive and forget, but people need to make a choice for the sake of peace, not to fight. Whatever the result of the referendum in 2011, whether the south becomes independant or Sudan remains united, still North and South will be neighbours and have to learn to live together." Once he has said it seems so obvious.

At times Adub has been able to be directly involved in resolving conflict, for example between Arab graziers in south Darfur and the communities of Northern Bahr Al Ghazel. Climate change has reduced the grazing land to the North, forcing the graziers to look further for pasture, but in the process encroaching on land in Aweil North and breaching the peace agreement. In some situations Adub will refer the matter to UN peacekeepers, and in some cases he admits his best efforts have failed. But still he tries, and Adub emphasises to me the importance of his work. "Without peace, all development work is wasted. Unless there is peace we cant develop schools, hospitals, agriculture or anything." While seeing the value of other government departments and NGOs, Adub doesnt hesitate to say that striving for peace is the most important work to be done in his country.

Adub goes about his work with little in the way of resources, support or training. He asked if there were universities that offer Peace Studies in Australia, or other organisations similar to his Peace Commission that he might be able to liase with. I admitted I didnt know, but that I would look into it when I get back home.

So here is an opportunity for someone with a computer and some spare time (and most of all an interest in peace): If you are interested in doing some research in this area drop me an email. (My email has been a bit unreliable while travelling, so if I dont respond try the link on the Magill COC website or contact me through the GMP office).

And, as Adub requested, please pray for him and all who work for peace in Sudan.

No comments: