Tuesday 1 May 2012

A Lesson on Grace...

I was walking the streets of Addis Ababa yesterday and got chatting with a man who happened to be going the same way. This is common in Ethiopia – people are generally very friendly and also quite curious about foreigners. I’ve also come to realise that some will do their research, knowing which hotel I’m staying at and will have a story prepared which is designed to get me to part with a small amount of cash.
Having learned that I am spending some time here in preparation for working in South Sudan the gentleman enlightened me with his philosophy – how some will travel to the other side of the world to give help and show kindness, while those living right there line up to kill each other.
I smiled at his simple summary of global politics – and his attempt to flatter me.
As the conversation progressed he told me about his sister Sarah who works in the laundry at the hotel where Im staying, and about his daughter who contracted malaria while in Bahir Dar recently. Would I give 150 Birr so he can buy her medication? I had my doubts about his story but gave him 50 Birr – about $2.50.
Back at the hotel the receptionist told me they don’t have any employees named Sarah and I found myself reflecting on the concept of grace - undeserved kindness.

3 comments:

Steve Finnell said...

you are invited to follow my blog

Anonymous said...

Hi Steve, My name is Brett Muhlhan. I am a theologian/lecturer/pastor from Perth WA. I feel compelled to get involved with South Sudan, and am grateful for your ministry. Do you run short term trips?

Steve Blacket said...

Hi Brett,
Thanks. There are many ways to be involved, including the possibility of teams coming and being involved in different ways. Please send me a message from my profile page. Best wishes.