Sunday 6 November 2011

Bees - and other challenges...

A few weeks ago I visited a village in Aweil North County with my friend Pastor Angelo Atak to see the school he has started in his home village, and to learn about the church he has planted. After turning off the main road we drove through the bush for about half an hour on tracks made by cattle and bicycles. We passed herds of cattle and goats, crops of peanut, maize and sesame, and the occasional hut made of mud and grass.

As we approached the village I could see the children running to form lines and sing songs of welcome - about 150 children singing their hearts out! This is a school without classrooms. The classes meet under trees and the teachers provide education every day without a salary. I can see a few remnants of mud buildings which testify to previous attempts to provide shelter from the rain and heat. In the end the shady trees provide the most practical solution. I met with the teachers and community leaders in the school "office" which probably wont survive another rainy season. At the end of the speeches I was given a goat as a sign of appreciation for my visit. I thanked them but asked that it be given to the teachers instead. These are dedicated leaders working without pay and under difficult conditions because they believe the future generation deserves an education. Despite their best efforts the drop out rate is high - especially amongst the girls.

After the meeting I asked Angelo to show me where the church meets. We walked across the clearing and he pointed to a large shady tree. He said "We used to meet under that tree, but a swarm of bees came and drove us away, so now we meet under that tree over there."

We laughed about it, but I am inspired by my brother who has faced many obstacles, and still persists in meeting the needs of his community.


Photos (from top)
Children singing songs of welcome (office in the background)
Students in class under the tree
Pastor Angelo Atak pointing to the original church that is now home to a swarm of bees.
The new church tree

No comments: