Monday 23 August 2010

Peace, Thankyou, Amen.

This morning I attended the 10 AM mass at the Aweil Catholic Church. There were about 400 inside and I think a similar number outside. These people have stamina! It is hot and humid and the service lasts over two hours. The singing is beautiful and I recognise some of the liturgy, but I only understand three words – salaam, shukarin and Amen. So I reflect on the “sermon” I have been given this day: Salaam – the offering of peace, Shukarin – the expression of appreciation, and Amen – leaving it with God.
Ironically, the final words of the service are in English. An announcement. Today, in addition to the Dinka service at 8 AM and the Arabic service at 10 AM there will be an English service at 4.30 “so that everyone might have the chance to hear the Word of God”. I am the only non-African present and I receive a few hundred nods and smiles.

No comments: