Thursday 13 November 2008

Rest in peace...

It might sound an unusual question, but how do you wash your face? Seriously… I would like you to think about how you go about this daily chore. My brother Joseph told me about a tribe in Sudan that has a tradition of washing one side of their face at a time, keeping the eye on the opposite side open and watching in every direction. Why? Because they were taught that if you closed your eyes, even for a second, someone could attack you.

Now I admit I don’t know what it is like to live your whole life literally keeping an eye open for your enemies. I am one of the fortunate people of the world that has never experienced war and it is impossible for me to fully understand those for whom fighting and killing is accepted as a normal part of life. And I don’t know how people who have inherited such a long history of violence can be taught that it is time to stop fighting. But I pray for the day when the people of Sudan – here and in their homeland – will be able to close their eyes without fear.

In memory of Daniel Awak - one amongst countless thousands of young Sudanese who have died a violent death – rest in peace. And to the Sudanese community, may God’s peace, which passes understanding fill your hearts and minds, enabling you to offer the gift of peace to others.

No comments: